Location:Manchaca, TX (South of Austin)
The Contracted Grant Writer reports directly to the Director of Development. The Contracted Grant Writer is responsible for writing proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects and for submitting timely and accurate reports for all existing and new grant funded projects. This is a full-time contract position starting with a 1-year contract. Marbridge’s goal in this contracted position is to convey and connect our mission in a way that assists the community, families, employees, and residents through grants, partnerships, sponsorships, foundations, and fundraising initiatives. The Contracted Grant Writer will develop and strongly maintain productive working relationships with communities, businesses, foundations, organizations, trusts, and more, supporting Marbridge, in the Greater Austin Area and nationally. Professional writing, communications, research skills, and a background in philanthropic funding is a must. This contracted position needs to bring a proven history of meeting fundraising and operational goals, maintaining a focus on providing excellent proposals, while being detail-oriented, flexible, organized, and demonstrate effective time-management skills.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of duties required to research, prepare, submit and manage grant proposals to public and private grant sources.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to identify potential sources of funding and evaluate prospects.
- Work directly with all essential staff/employees to gain relevant information for proposals including the VP of Development, Director of Development, care center Directors, Training and Education Department, and Finance/Accounting for necessary information needed or required for each grant submittal.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Develop a thorough and passionate understanding of the Marbridge history and programs/services offered by organization.
- Maintain current records in the donor database and in physical files, including grant tracking and reporting. Work with Director of Development to implement and maintain a thorough and efficient grant systems
- Contracted Grant Writer will submit a written a list of sources and obtain Marbridge’s permission, prior to the pursuit of any funds from the source on behalf of Marbridge with subsequent grant proposal or application.
- Provide monthly progress reporting to supervisor.
- Assist with other periodic fundraising projects as requested.
- Actively maintain accuracy of other sources that funders analyze (i.e. Guidestar, Charity Navigator, etc.).
- Oversight of relevant website content needed for grant accountability, such as accurate financials, 990’s, and audits.
- Use innovative approaches to existing and future target funders to build and maintain support.
- Safeguard privacy and confidentiality.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, the contractor must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Previous experience with non-profit grant writing—medical or special needs populations a plus. Knowledge of the needs of those who have cognitive or intellectual impairments, aging population, and/or people with special needs or disabilities.
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive proposals, as well as copy edit for clarity and grammatical accuracy.
- Knowledge and familiarity with relevant prospect research and analytics.
- Detail-oriented, strong time management skills, the ability to be self-motivated while operating autonomously, multi-task, and exceed deadlines.
- Able to monitor and meet metrics and goals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Reliable transportation and consistent working availability a must.
- Ability to remain poised under pressure; presents self and organization to the community in a positive, sincere, and professional manner when needed.
Education and Experience: Bachelors’ degree from a four-year college or university; or 4 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Should have success in obtaining grants up to and over $100,000.
Computer Skills: Strong computer proficiency with all MS Office suite products, especially MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe, foundation research databases, a CRM or donor database, and Outlook365.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work duties should occur inside and outside the office setting. This contracted position will involve attending meetings and potentially attend functions at locations other than the Marbridge campus. Requires face-to-face interaction and phone contact with outside professionals, volunteers, staff, and possibly donors, families, and the general public. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a contractor encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be elevated at times.