The Marbridge Foundation is currently seeking two substitute instructor’s to join the Training and Education department. A substitute instructor follow’s our Abilities Centered Training (ACT) program that integrates education, employment, socialization, recreation, and independent living skills to teach our unique population of adults with intellectual developmental disabilities.
This position requires the ability to follow a lesson plan provided by the instructor and manage a class with 10 – 25 residents in a variety of subjects. Some of the classes you may be involved in would include Skills for Life, Money Management, Reading, Hygiene, Geography, Choir, Cooking, Email and Letter Writing, Drum Therapy, Drama and Art.
Education occurs outside of the classroom setting as well with various outdoor classes and activities, including: equine therapy, gardening and horticulture, fishing, public transportation, recycling, and various sports.
As a substitute teacher, the hours would not be guaranteed since you would be scheduled when a full-time instructor is taking time off. Since this position covers when a full-time employee is out, the weekly hours will fluctuate based on the need of the organization.
Typical hours would be 8:00am-4:00pm Monday- Friday.
SUBSTITUTE INSTRUCTOR ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow the lesson plan provided by the instructor and have the ability to work on a backup plan if needed.
- Provide input on resident’s progress in class and complete weekly attendance sheets.
- Give feedback during weekly staff meetings.
- Supervise residents in all class activities. This includes on and off campus activities.
- Handle minor behavioral problems and report any problems to the Director of Training & Education immediately.
- Begin all classrooms on time and avoid early dismissal unless approved by the Director of Training & Education ahead of time.
- Assist and encourage residents to improve.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree a plus
- Previous teaching and or training experience preferred
- Experience with the Intellectually disabled population a plus
- Must be able to convey course content in an effective manner to adults of varying cognitive abilities
- Must be able to maintain order in the classroom and redirect residents as necessary
- Must always speak to residents in a friendly, respectful manner.
- Must be able to work as a team member, not only with the T&E team but also with all members of the Marbridge team.
- Ability to drive a small shuttle and 12 passenger van for community outings.
- Must be at least 21 years of age with a Valid Texas driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Must be a hands-on instructor who can use all equipment needed to teach the specific course.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and participate in active outdoor activities.
- This position will require standing for extending periods of time both in a classroom environment and outdoors
If this sounds like the position for you, you can apply by sending your resume to [email protected]