Marbridge is currently looking for a Horticulture Therapy Instructor to join our Training and Education team. The Instructor should be reliable, organized and have a very upbeat personality with a heart for working with individuals with intellectual disabilities. The instructor is responsible for developing and implementing curriculum for the Abilities Centered Training program with a focus on teaching adults with intellectual disabilities about plants through plant-based activities. Marbridge has a very large commercial greenhouse (75 X 65) where the classes are held. There is also an opportunity to work in the vegetable garden and expand the program through other creative avenues using plants around campus.
The instructor will teach a variety of horticulture classes to residents in a classroom setting with a hands-on approach in the greenhouse. Teaching is fun and informational, no teaching to a test, the goal is for the residents to learn skills in a positive environment. Class size varies from 8 – 12 residents. Candidate should be comfortable working in the Texas heat.
Full-time, Tuesday – Friday between the hours of 8:00am – 4:00pm. (32 hours a week)
HORTICULTURE THERAPY INSTRUCTOR ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow the lesson plan provided by the instructor and have the ability to work on a backup plan if needed.
- Provide input on resident’s progress in class and complete weekly attendance sheets.
- Give feedback during weekly staff meetings.
- Supervise residents in all class activities. This includes on and off campus activities.
- Handle minor behavioral problems and report any problems to the Director of Training & Education immediately.
- Begin all classrooms on time and avoid early dismissal unless approved by the Director of Training & Education ahead of time.
- Assist and encourage residents to improve.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture
- Ability to manage a large greenhouse
- Previous teaching and or training experience preferred
- Experience with the Intellectually disabled population a plus
- Strong knowledge of Word and Outlook
- Excellent written communication skills
- Organized, problem-solver that is a self-starter
- Must be able to convey course content in an effective manner to adults of varying cognitive abilities
- Must always speak to residents in a friendly, respectful manner.
- Must be able to work as a team member, not only with the T&E team but also with all members of the Marbridge team.
- Must be at least 21 years of age with a Valid Texas driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Must be a hands-on instructor who can use all equipment needed to teach the specific course.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and participate in active outdoor activities.
- This position will require standing for extending periods of time both in a classroom environment and outdoors
Marbridge is a long-term residential care facility for adults with intellectual disabilities, offering a full spectrum of services tailored to individual needs and abilities. Located in Manchaca, Texas (between Austin and Buda), we provide our residents with opportunities to learn, experience, and achieve a whole new life. Our residents lead busy lives, participating in any of our 150 classes offered on-site at our 200 acre campus. Each of our three communities — The Ranch, The Village, and The Villa — provide a different level of care, support, and guidance, all based on the needs and independence levels of the residents who call Marbridge home.
About Abilities Centered Training
The Training & Education department has a staff of 21 and provides a program called Abilities Centered Training (ACT). ACT is a customized training and educational program that integrates education, employment, socialization, recreation and independent living skills. This approach is unique and is one of the few programs for adults with special needs that offer training and educational opportunities rather than “workshop” training. ACT offers a changing curriculum each fall, spring and summer. We currently offer over 160 training options
ACT is based on the theory of Multiple Intelligences. We offer art, music therapy, choir, band, drama, gardening, horticulture therapy, equine therapy, drum therapy, Skills for Life, reading, Academic Skills Improvement (reading & math), photography, cooking, Bible Study, email and letter writing, fishing, geography, history, men’s and ladies hygiene, public transportation and recycling classes. Sports and exercise also play a very big role on our campus. We offer cardio, weight training, Pilates, walking, dance, basketball, softball, bocce, bowling, swimming, elder sports, volleyball, softball and yoga.
Marbridge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.